May 15, 2009

PhotoHunt - Painted

PhotoHunt

Face Changing Act
Bian Lian (Biàn Liǎn; literally "Face-Changing") is an ancient Chinese dramatic art that is part of the more general Sichuan opera. Performers wear brightly colored costumes and move to quick, dramatic music. They also wear vividly colored masks, which they change within a fraction of a second.
The face changing, or "bian lian" in Chinese, is an important aspect of Chinese Sichuan opera. Performers wave their arms and twist their heads, and their painted masks change again and again and again.
*Extracted from Wiki*
My other painted @ Napaboaniya APAD




Author of Blog

34 Divulge:

Juliana said...

wow...it is really cool painted ;)

My entry this week: in HERE. I hope that you can stop by as well. Thanks

keeyit said...

Last time people used to say this Bian Lian skill cannot teach others.. But seems nowadays a lot of people know how to do liao.. hehe...

LifeRamblings said...

those are popular face masks in china.

MaR said...

Fantastic for the theme!!!

eastcoastlife said...

I love watching this performance. I always try to 'capture' the performer changing his mask but he is too fast!

Yen said...

Great photos,Elaine! I was thinking of posting something like this too but changed my mind because of this;)

http://yennygirl.com/?p=5394

Carver said...

I have always loved the Chinese masks. This was such an interested post and I love the photograph. Happy weekend!

Sue said...

They are beautiful!

Fishman said...

Oh I heard about such shows when I was in Chengdu, China many years ago. It is very popular there. However I didn't manage to watch it.

Photo Cache said...

Elaborate painting, but wow so beautiful.

jmb said...

Those are really colourful masks they wear. It seems painted masks are a universal concept since they exist all over the world.
Happy weekend Elaine.

Annie said...

Awesome! Love the colors on those costumes. Great post!

CRIZ LAI said...

I have always wondered how they changed their faces so fast. I still could not catch any flaws.. haha. :P

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

Leslie said...

Now that's a great exapmple of painted! Have a good weekend. :)

YTSL said...

Great pictures and choice of subject matter. Have seen a couple of performances of Bian Lian and yes, have to say that I find them absolutely amazing! :)

Angela said...

Really cool masks! Happy hunting.

Corey~living and loving said...

Great choice for the theme. I love the color. WOW!

happy weekend!

stan said...

Believe it or not I'd been behind one of these costumes and facemakeup - simplified of course - before!

The guanzhou pics will take awhile! I hate routine n boring spore. Sigh. W swine flu. Almost everywhere is outa bounds. I'll just console myself to earn $$ while I"m stuck here for the next big trip. Haha.

jams o donnell said...

Wow those are amazing! A wonderful choice for this week's theme.

Shades of Blue Wednesday said...

I like those picture. I get scared of mask, so I don't own one.

BTW, I'd like to invite you to Shades of Blue Wednesday. I hope you can join.

PastormacsAnn said...

I was hoping that we would see some photos like these today. Wonderful! Nice choice for The Hunt! Happy Saturday and Hunting.

Unknown said...

so elaborate...really gorgeous!

bing said...

so that is what it's called. i once watched them on tv and i find them interesting. nice take and thank you for sharing the info. :-)

Hootin Anni said...

I like it....a lot!!!

My 'PAINTED' is posted now. Hope you can join me at my blog today sometime. Have a great weekend.

gengen said...

Nice entry for this week. Happy weekend. Mine is posted.

Arlene said...

This reminds me of Beijing Opera, Elaine. Ok i won't forget about this bian bian thing. Thanks a great information. :)

Mine is now up, too!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is really neat! Love all the different colours. Great photo/s.

Tara R. said...

Those masks are stunning. The colors are so intense. Wonderful take on this week's theme.

Rebecca Mecomber said...

Stunning!!! Wow. The colors are gorgeous.

Mine's up!
http://newyorktraveler.net/photo-hunters-painted/
I hope you have a chance to visit. Have a great weekend!

Colin Campbell said...

I love masks. Those are great.

srp said...

This is so intricate and bright and colorful. The operas must be amazing to see in person.
Mine is up here.

Gabriel said...

Excellent pictures for today, Elaine!

Sai Hijara - Ferraris said...

Great photos!

sri said...

Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. Keep up the good work.. Will drop by your blog often.. Do find time to visit my blog.. Keep in touch.. Take care.. Cheers mate!

Post a Comment

Do leave a link & I'll visit soon! Thanks!

My Photo Blog @
Napaboaniya APAD