May 29, 2009

PhotoHunt - Book(s)

PhotoHunt

A Priceless Gift my son bought me
One of my favorite books (It actually has got 3 titles in one).
Life account of the author who was brought up under the abuse of his own mother.
How tough his life was and how he got through it....

My son bought this book for me on his birthday last year.
A book I highly recommend.
Dave James Pelzer (born December 29, 1960)[1] is an American author, best known for his memoir of childhood abuse, A Child Called "It". Pelzer is the son of San Francisco fireman Stephen Joseph Pelzer (1923 - 1980), who was of Austrian and Irish descent, and Catherine Roerva Christen Pelzer (1929 - 1992).
Pelzer was born in Daly City, California, to Stephen Pelzer and Catherine Roerva Pelzer (née Christen) and was the second of five boys. As a child, Pelzer was continually abused, mistreated, and beaten by his mother, who thought of it as a game. Pelzer states that his mother enjoyed torturing him by starving him, forcing him to drink ammonia, and other horrors such as being stabbed in the stomach. His teachers stepped in on March 5, 1973 and 12-year-old Pelzer was placed in foster care. In 1979, he joined the Air Force and later became an author. The fourth boy, Richard B. Pelzer, has also written about his own abuse.

My other book @ Napaboaniya APAD



Author of Blog

28 Divulge:

CRIZ LAI said...

This sounded like a good book to read. I love life stories. :)

http://crizcats.blogspot.com/

Leslie said...

I just love books! At the moment I am listening to audio books as well as reading traditional books. :)

Books are my very favorite things - well, so are my cats. :)

http://lesliesmyers.blogspot.com/2009/05/photohunt-books-blurb-books.html

Carver said...

That sounds like an important story to be told. So terrible that abuse exists.

Randi said...

I´m sure this is an important book to read. In Sweden it is forbidden to beat one's children - I wish it was the same in all countries.

jmb said...

I think i would find this very hard to read indeed, but I am sure it is a story which should be told. He sounds like a remarkable person.

Happy weekend.

eastcoastlife said...

Your son bought it for you? So sweet. Give him a hug, from Aunty Jayne. :)

Annie said...

Thanks for the recommendation - it sounds like a wonderful book!

ancient one said...

I've read that book. That man (little boy) went through something!! I'm glad he lived to tell about it... Great pick for this week's theme!

Photo Cache said...

Oh that is nice to know. I hope other players will also tell us what their favorite book is.

Great take.

jams o donnell said...

Such a harrowing story. A soberingh but ideal choice for this week's theme

mm said...

.I haven't read that but Thanks for sharing..Happy weekend.

Colin Campbell said...

Everyone to their own with books.

Pretty Life Online said...

Perfect catch, nice one for the theme... The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it... Mine's up hope you can drop by. Have a great weekend!

Bengbeng said...

Talking about abuse and discipline..sometimes there is a thin line to read. I have seen so many, so many you wouldnt believe who have gone down south after the age of twelve because parents practised modern parenting methods. lives ruined, potential never reached. in the end what counts is what works but a parent should always know what he is doing and never do anything in anger or spite.

Bengbeng said...

to tread not to read :)

stan said...

hey I have tt title! - one of those on sale I picked not for myself but my students.

Corey~living and loving said...

I have read this book as well. It is one of the most heart wrenching stories out there, but we need to have our eyes open to this abuse.

unlike one of your commenters would like to believe, this has NOTHING to do with raising children correctly. It was torture, plain and simple.

PastormacsAnn said...

I'll have to put it on my "to read" list.

Sweetly said...

Sounds like a really sad book. Those are pretty tough for me to read.

Upcountrysmiles said...

Aloha!
Sure looks like a good book to read!
Happy photo hunting:) See ya!
Cindy O

witsandnuts said...

That sure looks like an interesting read. And the cover is inviting. We sometimes judge the books by their covers, don't we? Happy weekend!

The Social Frog said...

Sounds interesting, I'll have to check it out :)

Heart of Rachel said...

That sounds like an interesting book. It's sad to know that the author went through a difficult time in life.

Liz Hinds said...

I haven't read that. I couldn't face it. And it started a whole river of abuse books.

Mariposa said...

Seems like a good book to read.
Happy weekend!

Unknown said...

oh my, this sounds like an interesting, heavy read. thanks for sharing...

Emzkie said...

I hope i got time to read once again. i sure miss it. but with my boys schedule is pretty hectic. =)
great book Elaine!

srp said...

This sounds like a good book but difficult to read. Very nice shot! My books are up here.

Post a Comment

Do leave a link & I'll visit soon! Thanks!

My Photo Blog @
Napaboaniya APAD