Nov 30, 2008

Weekend SnapShot #51

Weekend SnapShot

A trip to an offshore island - Pulau Ubin, north-east of Singapore.

Pulau Ubin,Singapore

Bringing my city kids to the rural island was quite an experience with them.
With hardly no tall-rise buildings and automobiles.
They experienced what it was to be living in the "Kampong" (Kampong meaning village in Malay) for just a day.
We cycled around the island on our rented bicycles, which explains why my entire body is aching currently!

The kids and their father had some fun near the water catching shrimps with a pathetic plastic bottle.
Etymology

The name Pulau Ubin literally means "Granite Island" in Malay, which explains the many abandoned granite quarries there. The word ubin is said to be a Javanese term for "squared stone". To the Malays, the island is also known as Pulau Batu Ubin, or "Granite Stone Island". The rocks on the island were used to make floor tiles in the past and were called Jubin, which was then shortened to Ubin.

The island is known as chioh sua in Hokkien, which means "stone hill".

Extracted from Wikipedia

Author of Blog

15 Divulge:

Anonymous said...

The land of commando mosquitoes!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Elaine! I'm sure the kids had a great and fun new experience! I know what you mean about a city kid going to a rural place:) My little boy asked tons of questions when we went home for a vacation and spent a few days at my grandparents farm:) But he had a fabulous time! Btw, how is your daughter? I hope she's doing great now!

Have a great evening there!

Xoxo

Heart of Rachel said...

It must have been a fun and rewarding experience for the whole family. I've never tried catching shrimps before.

Carver said...

That sounds like a great place to visit and I'm sure your children enjoyed it so much.

♥♥ Willa ♥♥ said...

i bet it's the memories that they will keep forever!

Jackie said...

Hi Elaine,
Finally I get to drop by for a visit. I have my fingers crossed that my connection holds up.

it looks like you had a wonderful weekend! I bet the kids really had a blast.

Our granddaughter came by for a visit. she just turned 18 this weekend.

http://shinade.blogspot.com/2008/11/weekend-snapshot.html

Happy WS:-)

Anonymous said...

If my mom will have a chance to go back in Singapore, I'd recommend she check out this place, too!

My WS entries are posted here and here. Have a great week ahead!

Juliana said...

seems wonderful trip

My WS entry this week : in HERE. Hope you have time to visit . Thanks

eastcoastlife said...

It was a fun and interesting trip, right? You didn't go round the whole island? lazy mummy. hehe....

Melissa said...

Glad you had a wonderful weekend spent with the family...HAve a great week!

SandyCarlson said...

That looks like a great outing!

Anonymous said...

first time i've seen a place in Singapore with less modern amenities. It is refreshing and surprising to me:) and for sure, your kids have enjoyed the experience.

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

I am happy for you to get a chance to do that. The pictures are wonderful too! :D

Jeanne said...

looks nice place to visit

Anonymous said...

It's nice to visit place like that.

Post a Comment

Do leave a link & I'll visit soon! Thanks!

My Photo Blog @
Napaboaniya APAD