Sep 14, 2008

Weekend SnapShot #40

Weekend SnapShot

IMG_7030
It's Mid Autumn Festival .
The 15th day of the lunar 8th month.
Also known as Lantern Festival or Mooncake Festival.
Display of some floating lanterns at Clark Quay by the river.

The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the two most important holidays in the Chinese calendar (the other being the Chinese Lunar New Year), and is a legal holiday in several countries. Farmers celebrate the end of the summer harvesting season on this date. Traditionally, on this day, Chinese family members and friends will gather to admire the bright mid-autumn harvest moon, and eat moon cakes and pomeloes together. Accompanying the celebration, there are additional cultural or regional customs, such as:

Meaning of the festival extracted from here.

IMG_6873
Dragon dance performance by a Shanghai dance troupe
at Clark Quay, Singapore.

I took close to 600 pictures while there.
I've learned, taking pictures at over-crowded places puts me and my camera at risk!
One of the experience suffered was a man knocking hard onto the edge of my camera.
For a split second I was "stunned", with my jaws almost touching my ground.
Lesson learned, be EXTREMELY careful with the hands firmly on the camera at all time!!
Photos will be cast randomly on Napaboaniya APAD.

My other WSS entry of Chang'e @ Napaboaniya APAD
~|~
Today's also the lunar birthday of our youngest family member's birthday.
My niece turns 1.
In conjunction with the Mid-Autumn festival,
we all celebrated over at my MIL's house.
1st year milestone in her life, made me realise the past year simply flew by me.
Author of Blog

Napaboaniya APAD

13 Divulge:

Carver said...

Great shots and a very interesting post. Sounds like so much fun although risky for the camera and for you.

MumbaiiteAnu said...

I can understand and feel your excitement.
I have visited Singapore for two months in this period two years back. I enjoyed moon cakes, and also bought a lantern for my nephew. I was lucky to see a traditional dance performance in Little China.

Drop by to see My Weekend Sweets

Anonymous said...

I also felt the fun... very beautiful! miss yah friend!

Anonymous said...

wow...very colorful.I love it ...have a great week ahead!

eastcoastlife said...

600 photos!? Wow. No need to go out take photos for a few months ledi lah.

Miss you at yesterday's meeting.

marcia@joyismygoal said...

SO pretty and bright hope it was fun as it looks

Anonymous said...

beautiful, colorful pics! that is so much fun! i love mooncake, but they're so pricey over here. :(

Chocolate Lover's S'mores"
Some More S'mores, Please!

stan said...

argh. some many activities happening across the island I'd missed because of work commitments!

tigerfish said...

How come Mid-Autumn Festival in Singapore is not a holiday ah? :p
I don't miss Mid -Autumn Festival, now that I'm back. In Singapore, shd be All-Year-Summer festival!

SandyCarlson said...

That looks like a wonderful festival! So much going on and so much color. Great stuff. Congrats on your check.

Anonymous said...

How colorful!! Its being celebrated here to by our Chinese community and there are mooncakes everywhere :D

Jeanne said...

great shots

Mine is up HERE

Anonymous said...

Colors is what make happy whatever they touch. Nice shots!

Post a Comment

Do leave a link & I'll visit soon! Thanks!

My Photo Blog @
Napaboaniya APAD